Presidency of the Court
President Síofra O’Leary
Síofra O’Leary was born on 20 September 1968, in Dublin, Ireland.
- Bachelor of Civil Law, University College Dublin, Ireland, 1986-1989
- PhD, European University Institute, Florence, Italy, 1989-1993
- Visiting Fellow and Research Associate, Department of Public International Law, University of Cádiz, Spain, and Institute for Public Policy Research, London, United Kingdom, 1994-1996
- Assistant Director of the Centre for European Legal Studies, University of Cambridge, United Kingdom, 1995-1996
- Fellow of Emmanuel College, University of Cambridge, United Kingdom, 1995-1996
- Visiting Fellow, Faculty of Law, University College Dublin, Ireland, 1999-2004
- Référendaire, Chef de Cabinet and Head of Unit, Court of Justice of the European Union, Luxembourg, 1996-2015
- Visiting Professor, College of Europe, Bruges, Belgium, since 2003
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Common Market Law Review, 2012-2015
- Member of the Advisory Boards of the Common Market Law Review and the Irish Centre for European Law
- Honorary Bencher of the Honorable Society of the King’s Inns, Ireland
- Judge of the European Court of Human Rights since 2 July 2015
- President of Section from 1 January 2020 to 31 October 2022
- Vice-President of the Court from 2 January 2022 to 31 October 2022
- President of the Court since 1 November 2022.
The plenary Court elects its President for a period of 3 years.
The President directs the work and administration of the Court. He represents the Court and, in particular, is responsible for its relations with the authorities of the Council of Europe. The President presides at plenary meetings of the Court, meetings of the Grand Chamber and meetings of the panel of 5 judges.
Visit by the Minister of Justice and Public Administration of Croatia30/11/2022
On 30 November 2022 Ivan Malenica, Minister of Justice and Public Administration of Croatia, visited the Court and was received by President Síofra O’Leary. Davor Derenčinović, judge elected in respect of Croatia, and Marialena Tsirli, Registrar of the Court, also attended the meeting....
Speeches by the President
Exchange of views with the Committee of Ministers20/10/2022
President Robert Spano delivered a speech during the exchange of views with the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe on 19 October 2022....
Since 1959, 15 judges served as President of the European Court of Human Rights. The President is elected for a three year term by the plenary Court, composed of 46 national judges.